Have you ever tried to hire a plumber? How about a house cleaner? If you have, chances are it took you way longer than it should. In the era of instant-everything, it’s crazy that you still have to waste an entire afternoon researching, calling and vetting local service professionals whenever you need one. The market for hiring them is huge — $1 trillion in the US alone — but the process is inefficient and largely offline.
Thumbtack is transforming this experience end-to-end, building a marketplace that matches millions of people with local pros for almost any project. In making these connections, not only do our customers get more done every day, our pros are able to grow their businesses and make a living doing what they’re great at.
About the Analytics team:
Thumbtack’s Analytics team is a tight-knit group charged with empowering Thumbtack to use data to guide decisions. We collaborate with teams across the company on a wide variety of impactful projects; everything from exploring click-level data on user experiences to evaluating the impact of a new business model on company performance.
About the role:
We’re looking for an experienced analyst with an appreciation for great marketing and a passion for storytelling through data. We want an analyst who can embed with our marketing team to constantly improve the understanding of our audiences and what it takes to build brand love. You’ll influence our marketing investment strategy by bringing rigor to our understanding of the data to inform what we do. You’ll work collaboratively with marketing, engineering and product. This role offers a chance to work on a fast-growing company and emergent brand, and will join a world-class analytics team.
- Mastery of Marketing Analytics
- Define, create and maintain a dashboard of key brand metrics;
- Monitor and share insights at a frequent cadence throughout the year
- Connect the dots between our target audience and our platform users
- A Partner to Results-Driven Marketers
- Proven success at driving results in cross-functional teams
- Ability to see through our product complexity to drive action and decision
- Willing to move fast and independently define objectives, strategies, and tasks
- A Storyteller with Real Affinity for Our Mission
- An ability to use data and insights to tell compelling stories
- The ability to grasp what makes our customer adopt, use and love our product
- Appreciation of visual nuance and legibility in how data is presented
- Understand our audiences, and build customer and pro segmentations
- Conduct ad-hoc, actionable analyses of customer and pro behavior
- Connect brand and growth marketing programs and activities by developing an integrated analytical springboard to evaluate brand marketing investments across the marketing funnel
- Create and maintain a dashboard of key brand metrics; monitor and share insights at a frequent cadence throughout the year
- Partner with marketing, engineering and business intelligence to ensure proper instrumentation of tracking
- Visualize data to communicate performance and impact of marketing programs and activities
- Help brand and growth marketers understand the results of their efforts and optimize results
- Use our product data to develop insights into the Small Business community (such as our Small Business friendliness survey and report)
- Track and analyze the connection between online sales and earned, owned and social media
- Champion marketing analytics best practices across all parts of the business, including to evaluate partnership opportunities.
- Develop new, more rigorous ways to measure business impact of executive communications and brand advocacy
- Measure brand equity
Must have qualifications:
- Degree, preferably an MS in mathematics, economics, statistics, operations research, computer science, engineering, econometrics, or similar quantitative analytics discipline
- Minimum of 5 years of experience in industry, consulting, government or academic research. Applicants with considerably more experience, including mid-career, are also strongly encouraged to apply.
- Proficiency with analytical tools like R, Stata, Python, MATLAB, SAS, or EViews
- Experience running and analyzing surveys, and proficiency with survey tools
- Familiarity with relational databases and SQL
- Ability to work in a fast moving business environment.
- Effective verbal and written communication skills.
- Ability to collaborate across teams, functions and geographies with high autonomy and little guidance
- Ph.D in economics or related quantitative field, with an emphasis on modern empirical methods and causal inference
- Experience with marketplace or ecommerce platforms
- Ability to collaborate cross-functionally with different disciplines
- Good understanding of agency relationships and proven ability to maximize value with external partners
- Understands how to maximize business impact through socializing and advocating for our customers and pros
More About Us
Thumbtack is a local services marketplace that connects customers who need to get things done with local, skilled professionals who can help. From plumbers and painters to DJs and personal trainers, Thumbtack helps millions of customers find the right professional for their project in over 1,000 categories. Founded in 2009 and headquartered in San Francisco, Thumbtack is backed by over $250 million in investment from Sequoia Capital, CapitalG, Tiger Global Management, Javelin Investment Partners and Baillie Gifford.
Thumbtack embraces diversity. We are proud to be an equal opportunity workplace and do not discriminate on the basis of sex, race, color, age, sexual orientation, gender identity, religion, national origin, citizenship, marital status, veteran status, or disability status. Pursuant to the San Francisco Fair Chance Ordinance, we will consider for employment qualified applicants with arrest and conviction records.