Are you ready to lead a team that brings positive impact to the world through the power of mobile and location technologies? We’re looking for an Engineering Manager for our efforts in Augmented reality, who is a respectful and empathetic leader who is willing to go the extra mile for others, and cares about helping us build a diverse inclusive workforce where we respect all and practice empathy at every opportunity. You will manage the engineering team that builds the backend services for AR. In this role, you’ll work with your team alongside product managers, engineers, researchers and cross-functional partners throughout the company. You'll also get a broad view of Niantic’s business and products. This is a great role if you've led highly-technical teams shipping scalable services.
- Engineering managers at Niantic are still hands-on but spend the majority of their time focused on making their teams work better.
- Coach engineers on their day-to-day work and their career aspirations, conduct regular 1:1s for your reports, and evaluate their performance and set actionable goals that help them grow in the work and move the team and company forward.
- Employ emotional intelligence to diffuse tensions and improve cross-team relations.
- Prioritize and plan the work of the team in close collaboration with your engineers, tech lead, product managers, technical program manager, and other teams across the organization.
- Recruit and hire great talent for the team.
- Help shape the direction of our tech stack for augmented reality applications.
- Identify business and technological risks/opportunities from internal sources and craft solutions/responses to them.
- You have at least 2 years of experience managing software teams.
- You have at least 5 years of experience working as a software engineer.
- A BS, MS or PhD in Computer Science or other technical majors, or equivalent experience.
- You have shipped cloud-based technology platforms for developers.
- You have experience recruiting and building up an engineering team.
- You have a passion in entrepreneurial management in emerging technology especially in AR, mobile games, location-related technologies, matched with the drive to roll up sleeves and take on difficult problems.
- You have prototyped or built AR applications.
- You have worked with ZeroMQ or message passing/stream based logic frameworks.
- You have deployed services on hosting providers, such as Google Cloud, Azure or AWS.
- You have experience working with NoSQL databases such as Cassandra, Redis, or RocksDB.
Join the Niantic team!
Niantic is the world’s leading AR technology company, sparking creative and engaging journeys in the real world. Our products inspire outdoor exploration, exercise, and meaningful social interaction.
Originally formed at Google in 2011, we became an independent company in 2015 with a strong group of investors including Nintendo, The Pokémon Company, and Alsop Louie Partners. Our current titles include pioneering global-control game Ingress, and record-breaking AR game Pokémon GO. Our third title, Harry Potter: Wizards Unite, is currently in development.