San Francisco, CA, US / Sunnyvale, CA, US / Seattle, WA, US
Are you excited to bring the power of Niantic's real-world geospatial platform to developers? Niantic’s engineering team is seeking a leader to establish a team that enables developers to craft and publish a new slate of incredible experiences on our real-world geospatial platform. You will work directly with our platform engineering team to democratize development of planet-scale AR experiences. You will lead engineers who will release and document easily understood, well-organized APIs. In addition, you and your team will provide direct support to developers throughout the entire lifecycle of platform adoption. You will guide developer teams from pre-contract prototyping, to initial development and integration, to publication by Niantic.
- Form a team from scratch to two dozen or more. You will directly lead, refine requirements and set expectations for engineers and tech writers who release multiple versions of Niantic’s platform binaries, APIs and documentation targeted for developers on the Niantic platform.
- Perform core performance management of engineers, tech writers and managers. You will coach engineers on their day-to-day work and their career aspirations, conduct regular 1:1s with your reports, and evaluate their performance and set actionable goals that help them grow in the work and move the team and company forward.
- Build a team that provides robust and timely technical expertise to external and internal development teams as they build planet-scale features for Niantic’s AR/Geo platform.
- Employ emotional intelligence to diffuse tensions and improve cross-team relations with internal and external partners.
- Document, design, and implement server and client APIs for planet-scale real-time concurrent networking, map rendering, player management and massive datastores in Java and C#.
- Collaborate with other engineering leaders, product managers, and other departments to ensure code, releases and documentation meets standards consistent with external publication.
- You have a BS, MS, or PhD in Computer Science, or a related technical field.
- You have at least 2 years of experience managing software teams with several engineers
- You have at least 5 years of experience working as a software engineer.
- You have experience recruiting and building up an engineering team.
- You have strong and validated interpersonal skills, particularly in the realm of collaborating with internal or external developer customers.
- You have experience leading teams delivering high-quality releases and documentation of highly complex technical SDKs to multiple customers.
- You have experience with leading teams that deliver products on cloud computing, gaming or mobile products at scale.
Join the Niantic team!
Niantic is the world’s leading AR technology company, sparking creative and engaging journeys in the real world. Our products inspire outdoor exploration, exercise, and meaningful social interaction.
Originally formed at Google in 2011, we became an independent company in 2015 with a strong group of investors including Nintendo, The Pokémon Company, and Alsop Louie Partners. Our current titles include pioneering global-control game Ingress, and record-breaking AR game Pokémon GO. Our third title, Harry Potter: Wizards Unite, is currently in development.