Americans spend more than $5 trillion on restaurants, retail, and services each year. Nearly 90% of those transactions happen in a real-world store. Online, data is king. It powers personalized customer experiences and product recommendations. Offline, it’s still 1999. No data is captured; certainly, none is used to improve merchant decision-making or customer experience. No wonder brick-and-mortar stores are being left behind.
Thanx is a customer engagement platform - an integrated solution that enables merchants to interact with their customers. Point solutions are so 2000s. Data on spending, location, time, items/SKUs, and feedback is ingested from multiple sources. Leveraging this data, Thanx provides a complete, longitudinal view of a customer, enabling merchants to engage with customers in a personalized way. Plus, with a closed loop with credit card networks, merchants can, for once, measure changes in consumer behavior for each marketing dollar thats spent.
In a nutshell, Thanx ingests data, provides insights, enables actions to drive growth in the business. As a platform, Thanx is a horizontally-scalable, reliable, high-throughput, low-latency system.
Thanx is backed by some of the best investors in the world — Sequoia Capital, Icon Ventures, and Andy Rachleff (CEO Wealthfront, cofounder Benchmark Capital), to name a few.
Yes, we have an app you can download. But that represents no more than 5% of our codebase. The power of Thanx is massively scalable data pipelines, microservices that power four 9s uptime, intelligent purchase normalization, and matching algorithms — we don’t show that stuff off publicly.
Here’s more on who we are:
- Team: early engineers at AWS, Cloudera, Climate, Zenefits, Okta. Experience from startups and successful product companies like Google, Facebook, Intuit, Disney. This is an elite Eng team, period.
- Growth: 10x YOY data growth; $100M+ delivered to merchants; 200% team growth; modern, rapidly-evolving platform.
- Tech: scalable, reliable, high-throughput, low-latency backend systems; beautiful, performant, responsive UIs; user-friendly mobile apps.
- Culture: data-driven decision-making, risk-taking, no hierarchy, collaboration & shared responsibility, testing, and continuous improvement. As a remote-friendly team, we have flexible work hours. We work and play hard — be warned! when it comes to Mario Kart, we are super competitive!
- This is a hands-on role. You spend significant time writing code
- Be a technical leader - ideate, architect, mentor others; advance our platform
- Work across the stack - backend, front-end, mobile, data ingestion and processing, AI/machine learning, security, infrastructure, scalability, DevOps.
- Be involved in platform evolution, product ideation, design, architecting systems, helping shape engineering, and company culture. And, of course, top-notch equity.
Technologies We Use
- Ruby on Rails, Golang, React, React Native, Swift, Objective-C, Java/Kotlin, Elasticsearch, MySQL, Postgres, AWS, Heroku, Terraform, Docker
Sound like You?
- 8+ years full-stack engineering experience
- Deep experience with high-scale architectures, data pipelines, design patterns
- Experience with modern tools and tech for each phase of development lifecycle - design, development, test, build, deploy, monitor+scale
- Experience with mobile and mobile-first web development experience
- Experience with experimentation and A/B testing is a plus!
- Strong leadership skills (mentoring, leading)
- Strong written and verbal communication skills
- Fantastic team player: communicative, collaborative, empathetic
- You thrive in a distributed team environment